OCTOBER SCHEDULE CHANGES:
There will be NO CLASSES on Tuesday, October 10th and Tuesday, October 31st.
First things first ...
- All classes begin with a 5- to 10-minute yoga-inspired warmup and strength-building exercise. Yoga mats are available at the studio for students who wish to use them.
- It is recommended students wear comfortable clothing for movement. Yoga pants and a closely-fitted top or crop top is suggested so that you can easily see your movement. Baring your midriff is at your comfort level and is not required.
- We typically dance barefoot. If you prefer footwear, however, lyrical sandals (found online or at most local dance shops) are the shoe of choice.
- Prior to class, drink plenty of water and have a light snack to stay energized. You are encouraged to bring a bottle of water to stay hydrated.
- The ONE-MINUTE rule: To ensure the safety of our students and a prompt class start without interruptions, the studio doors will be locked one minute before class. We suggest arriving 10 to 15 minutes early to sign in and get settled for your session.
- PRICING: 10 Class Visits = $120 / One Month Class Pass = $50 / Drop-Ins = $15
See the PURCHASE page to get your class package.
- We aim to foster an accepting, encouraging and happy belly dance practice in a non-competitive and supportive environment. Please check judgment – for yourself, and for others – at the door. We are here to learn and have fun!
Belly Dance Foundations
6:00p to 7:00p
The Foundations class focuses on the fundamental movements of belly dance. In this course, students will work on basic posture and technique through the study of isolations – learning to move various muscle groups (like the hips, core, chest, back, shoulders and arms) independently of each other, creating that signature belly dance movement. Precision and correctness will be emphasized so that students receive the most benefit and growth from their practice, increasing muscle flexibility and stamina as they master their moves. Strength building and balance will also be a focus. The set of isolations taught in this class can be applied to any number of belly dance styles. This is a fun and challenging class for students of all levels, but is particularly well-suited and designed for beginners*.
Level: all levels
*Beginners: It is recommended you complete three to six months of Belly Dance Foundations, or at least one Beginner’s Belly Dance Workshop, before attending an intermediate-level class.
Intermediate Belly Dance Vocabulary
7:15p to 8:15p
At each one of our Intermediate Belly Dance Vocabulary classes, we will teach and drill one to three different belly dance combinations. A belly dance combination, or “combo,” is a string of isolations layered together with counts to create a universally-known dance movement that can be used in group improvisational dancing (adapted from American Tribal Style belly dance), or as solo inspiration. Drill sets relating to the combinations will be rehearsed and put together piece-by-piece to assist the student in learning and remembering the movement, further sharpening their skill. In addition to combos, we will also explore other intermediate belly dance challenges like perfecting the 3/4 shimmy, graceful level changes, holding posture and arm movements with strength, practicing fluidity, and refining and cleaning basic technique. It is recommended students attend at least three to six months of Belly Dance Foundations prior to attending this class, as clean technique and an understanding of the basics is necessary.
Level: intermediate and advanced levels
Tribal City Bellydance Troupe Rehearsal
7:30p to 8:45p
*This is a closed session, open to TCB troupe members only.
Tribal City Bellydance is the affiliated performance troupe of Sojourn Belly Dance Co. The troupe meets regularly to rehearse, practice improvisational dancing, and to create and refine choreography and new drill sets. This particular session is open to members of Tribal City Bellydance only.
Private lessons are available if you prefer one-on-one instruction or would like to fine-tune and customize your learning experience to enhance material already presented in regular classes. Private lessons begin at $80 an hour. Please contact us to schedule your private lessons.
Special Occasion/Private Group Classes
Have a special event coming up? We are available for private group classes for your birthday party, bachelorette party, sorority shindig, or other special girl's-night-out event --- any occasion where you think a belly dance class will add to the fun and enjoyment of your unique gathering. Our private group classes include one hour of upbeat, beginner-style belly dance instruction, set to both traditional and non-traditional middle eastern-inspired dance music that will be sure to get you moving! Also included, if desired, is a short 10-minute performance demo by the instructor. Base pricing for our private group classes is as follows:
- $150 for 1 - 10 people
- $200 for 11 - 20 people
- $300 for 21 - 30 people
- $400 for 31 - 40 people
- $500 for 41 - 50 people
- More than 50? - contact us for a quote
The prices above are if we come to you - meaning, you have already secured a facility for your event, and we have approved of the space as adequate for dance instruction. If you would like to host your private group class at the Sojourn dance studio, there is an additional charge of $75 to the above prices. Should you like to add an hour or two for socializing and/or to serve refreshments and/or alcohol at your event at the Sojourn dance studio, please contact us for additional pricing options. We are happy to customize your event!
We are also available to teach group classes for multicultural events, community centers, non-profit organizations, or as part of an educational dance curriculum. Let us know how we can suit your needs for a colorful dance experience.